VISITING CHEF DEMONSTRATIONS AND TASTINGS 2013
Our most significant success for 2013 came through our chef demonstration and tasting series. At each event, the chef would prepare and demonstrate healthy eating recipes before the attendees while serving a four-course, small plate meal. The popularity of these twice-monthly events grew throughout the season as people discovered Wind Hill Farm and word spread through Glastonbury about these wonderful summer evening programs held at our beautiful farm. More than good eating in a beautiful spot, these programs provided our guests with important information on healthy eating and food preparation as well as motivating people to eat local, fresh produce.
- Chef Jordan Stein from the Pond House Grille generously offered to do one program each month and donated the food as well as the proceeds to the Farm.
- In June, Chef Caelum Massicotte from Whole Foods Market put on a spectacular BBQ.
- In July, Jackie Parente and Mandee Morris prepared and served a delicious dinner using farm fresh cheeses from Connecticut’s nationally-known Beltane Farm, grass-fed beef from Amston’s Briarridge Farm, and all local produce.
- Then, in August, our neighborhood restaurant, Birch Hill Tavern offered a generous and very much appreciated summer’s meal, prepared and served by owner/chef Adam Driggs.
- Our final event of the year was a harvest celebration held in late October. Our Board of Directors used the opportunity to host a luncheon buffet, inviting all of our community gardeners, CSA members and demonstration attendees to join us for what turned out to be a glorious fall afternoon. The big hit of the event was our neighbor Lud Baldwin making fresh cider with his antique cider press. It was a happy and heartwarming event which was the perfect ending to a very successful year at Wind Hill Farm.